Job openings/Design Communications Manager
Manager, Design Communications
Head of Communications
Provide innovative design and project management in the creation of high-impact communications products that inspire people and build affiliation with the mission of the Wikimedia movement.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead the production of the Foundation's major communications design projects, including the Foundation's annual report, presentations, media productions, email newsletters, and other special projects.
- Develop creative briefs and project management plans based on strategic direction from senior management.
- Primary coordinator of the Foundation (and the Wikimedia movement) visual design guide, which includes the standard brand and visual identity guide for Wikipedia, the Wikimedia Foundation, and our other free knowledge projects.
- Support the creation of high quality and on-brand design projects for the Foundation's major operational areas (Community, Global Development, Technology), and act as a design facilitator to the Foundation's network of global chapters.
- Develop a design project management timeline and work flow system to ensure on-time and on-budget completion of the Foundation's communications products.
- Manage and oversee the work of the Foundation's external creative services contractors, including budget management, contracts and agreements, and quality control.
- Supervise photo and video shoots, and be a resource to media and other storytellers working to find the people, pictures, and sounds that tell our story.
- Build on the Foundation's pioneering efforts around open-source, collaborative design projects aimed at supporting the communications design needs of a fast-growing global movement.
- (Note: this position is not directly responsible for the design and creation of communications products, however studied designers with experience leading the work of other designers or contractors are welcome to apply)
- Five or more years experience in the creation of (or overall direction of) communications design projects. Relevant experience for this role may come from design or creative services management for other global non-profits, creative agencies, or entrepreneurial global technology companies.
- Experience leading design thinking or communications product development for a highly visible brand, product, organization, or movement.
- Bachelor's degree in Arts/Fine Arts, Design or related fields.
- Deep understanding of traditional communications design practice, including knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of design software, printing, and digital design.
- Candidates should be highly proficient and comfortable using current open-source and proprietary design software, including photo-editing, illustration, word processing, and design packages. (If candidates are new to open-source design software, they should be eager to master these tools and promote their use and value among our community.)
- Exceptional communications skills, particularly strong English writing skills, are critical for this role; specifically the ability to prepare detailed design and creatives services briefs and to facilitate productive discussions with clients.
- Experience in the production of a wide variety of communications products is essential: including photography, video, audio, print and digital, narrative story telling.
- Experience working on projects with multiple stakeholders is critical; particularly projects serving corporate, Board, volunteer, or other stakeholders simultaneously.
- Project management experience, including the use of software-based time management and project resource tools is highly desirable.
- Experience leading projects in a global, multi-lingual environment, including collaboration with volunteers for whom English is not a first language.
- A well-established network of leading design practitioners and thinkers.
- Experience working within the open-source, free culture communities, or collaborative, on-line communities would be a strong asset.
- Experience working with wikis or other web-based, open collaboration tools is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work (speak, read, write at a professional level) effectively in a language other than English.
- Fluency in a language other than English is a major plus.
- Experience living or working outside of your home country is a major plus.
- A passion for communications design and creative project management.
- Strong sense of aesthetic judgment and design intuition for a wide range of projects.
- A desire to build completely new collaborative design projects - and an openness to radical new approaches to design thinking.
- A wealth of energy, drive and commitment to Wikimedia's mission: a deep belief in the value of Wikimedia, the ability to exude enthusiasm for Wikimedia's mission and powerfully embody and communicate Wikimedia's mission.
- Data-driven attitude: a willingness to stay on top of data, insistence on subjecting one's own approaches and activities to rigorous analysis, and a willingness to stop doing what is proven to be ineffective.
- Scheduling flexibility: a willingness to flex schedule to communicate regularly with the community around the world.