Statement of Purpose
The Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) is looking for a consultant to develop and implement a strategy for expanding its classroom-based Education Program globally.
In 2010 and 2011, the Wikimedia Foundation successfully executed an experimental pilot project (the Public Policy Initiative) to engage students in Wikipedia-editing as part of the curriculum. Professors at universities in the United States were participating in our initiative by asking their students to improve articles on the English-language Wikipedia. The Foundation is providing professors support in the form of instructional materials such as sample lesson plans, and Wikipedia Ambassadors, who are serving as mentors for the first-time Wikipedians.
Beginning in 2011, we will expand Wikipedia editing in university classrooms to institutions around the world. One of our priorities is to expand our Education Program to the Global South. Our goal is to increase the number of active Wikipedia contributors in the Global South significantly until June 2012.
- Wikimedia Movement Strategic Plan Summary
- Information about the Public Policy Initiative (including links to progress reports and case studies)
- Information about the Global Education Program on the Wikimedia Outreach wiki
- Global Education Program A–Z on the Wikimedia Outreach wiki
- Wikimedia Blog, Frank Schulenburg: For Wikipedia in education, the future is now
Scope of Work
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Developing a strategy for building a classroom-based education program in the Global South;
- Exploring and documenting incentives for teachers, students and institutions in Higher Education to participate in the program;
- Recruiting teachers who are eager to use Wikipedia as a teaching tool in their classes;
- Recruiting and selecting volunteers who are willing and able to help newcomers with their first steps on Wikipedia;
- Providing training, guidance and direction for new Campus and Online Ambassadors;
- Creating guidelines and standards in order to achieve a shared understanding of the goals of the Wikimedia Education Program;
- Documenting and communicating best practices and lessons learned;
- Initiating and overseeing the translation of existing support materials into Portuguese and Spanish;
- Developing and tracking measures of success and creating progress reports.
Outcome and Performance Standards
We will consider the project a success if we will be able to successfully launch pilot projects in at least two countries of the Global South. Both teachers and students shall have a positive experience with using Wikipedia in the classroom. Guidelines and support documents and the creation of an effective Ambassador Program shall help the participants in contributing to Wikipedia. Our program shall be implemented in cooperation with the existing community of editors.
Term of Contract
Your initial contract will be for a duration of 6 months, and will commence as soon as possible. At the end of the contract we will consider to transition the consultant to a full-time employee.
Payments, Incentives, and Penalties
Rate will be determined by level of experience and expertise. Please submit bid proposal.
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Thorough understanding of the university teaching and learning environment;
- Must be confident, engaging and adept in communication with teachers and university administrators;
- Experience in working with volunteers is a major plus;
- Exceptional project management and time management skills;
- Ability to speak in front of groups and lead events is a major plus;
- Must be comfortable in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment;
- Ability to work effectively and meet deadlines even while traveling;
- Fluent in English; fluency in Portuguese or Arabic is a plus;
- Must have a strong affinity for the Wikimedia mission.
Please submit the following documents:
- CV that highlights your understanding of the university teaching and learning environment;
- A paper (not exceeding 3 pages in length) that explains
- Why growing our editor community in countries of the Global South is important for fulfilling the Wikimedia Foundation's mission;
- How you envision to work with teachers, students and volunteers to achieve the goals of the project.
The submitted documents will be evaluated against the following criteria (in no specific order):
- Understanding of the mission and values of the Wikimedia Foundation;
- Understanding of the Foundation's strategic goals for increasing our community of active editors in the Global South;
- Demonstrated history of working with higher education and non-profits;
- Ability to work with Wikipedia's existing community of volunteers;
- Overall willingness and eagerness to undertake a highly complex challenge.