Statement of Purpose
Wikimedia is looking for a contractor who will work with the Office IT Team in maintaining and troubleshooting the electronic devices of the Wikimedia Foundation and its personnel. The position is based in the San Francisco office.
As a Help Desk Operator, you will be working for the Office IT Team; your job will primarily entail ensuring that all the office electronics are functioning in a manner that allows for and encourages productivity. You may also assist the Office IT Team with the management of other backend services.
The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit charitable organization dedicated to encouraging the growth, development and distribution of free, multilingual content, and to providing the full content of these wiki-based projects to the public free of charge. The Wikimedia Foundation operates some of the largest collaboratively edited reference projects in the world, including Wikipedia, a top-ten Internet property.
Scope of Work
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Diagnose & repair all user software issues
- Diagnose, procure, & repair all user hardware issues
- Diagnose network issues
- Handle basic server tasks (as they relate to troubleshooting user issues)
- Support on/off boarding process
- Manage ticket queue
- Updating Office IT Documentation
- Procuring equipment
- Intimate familiarity with Linux (Preferably Ubuntu) and Apple OSX
- Familiarity with Windows
- Experience using and ability to support Open Source desktop software (ex: OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Thunderbird)
- 1+ years prior experience in an IT support role in a mid-sized office environment
- Able to handle a rapidly changing environment
- Customer service oriented: able to anticipate, understand and meet the needs of a focused team of professionals
- Interested parties must be fluent in written and spoken English
- Familiarity with Linux based server software (such as Asterisk and Apache) is a plus
- Familiarity with Wiki software (Specifically MediaWiki) is a plus
- Previous experience in converting users to Open Source equivalent software is a plus
Term of Contract
Contractor will be expected to be on site, in San Francisco, working approximately 40 hours a week. The initial contract will commence as soon as possible and terminate July 31, 2011 with option for renewal.
Payments, Incentives, and Penalties
Rate will be determined by level of experience and expertise and will be paid via Odesk. The contractor will need to cover all legally required deductions, taxes and benefits out of this amount. Approved out-of-pocket expenses may be invoiced for reimbursement.
In the event that either party become dissatisfied with the progress of the contract, and both parties have taken all reasonable steps to resolve or improve the situation without mutual satisfaction, this agreement can be terminated by either party with 30 days’ written notice. These 30 days will be used for transition planning, hand‐off of all work to date, and necessary communication to all constituents. Wikimedia’s fee obligation will be terminated at the end of the 30 days.
Requirements for Proposal Preparation
Contractor should provide a letter with resume that indicates their qualifications to fulfill the requirements of the RFP.
Points of contact for future correspondence
This contract position has been filled. Thank you for your interest.