Statement of Purpose
The Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) is looking to build an end to end open source tool stack for Non-Roman language localization to support and promote contribution to Non-Roman language Wikimedia projects.
Scope of Work
- Design user interfaces, develop new features and maintain code for Wikimedia website internationalization/localization tools and features based on MediaWiki. These tools and features specifically include:
- Typing tools to support Non-Roman languages, including input methods (keymap-based, phonetic, etc.) and on-screen keyboards across platforms and devices.
- Reading (display of Non-Roman character sets) tools, including delivery of web fonts.
- Searching tools, including improved index/search support.
- Work on bug fixes.
- Support feature deployment with integration testing, code review and documentation.
- Interface with the open source community (within and beyond the Wikimedia community) and promote/support improvements and integration of additional tools, e.g. open source transliteration engines.
Term of Contract
The contract will be for a duration of 6 months unless it is extended. All software developed through this contract will be publicly available as GPLv2-licensed open source software.
Payments, Incentives, and Penalties
Rate will be determined by level of experience and expertise. Please submit bid proposal.
Contractor should provide a letter with resume that indicates their qualifications to fulfill the requirements of the RFP.
Points of contact for future correspondence
Alolita Sharma, Engineering Program Manager
+1 (415) 839-6885 x 6714