Fund drives/2005/Q4/Day 3
Sunday 18 December
The equivalent of $16,285.68 USD was donated through PayPal on Day 3 of the fundraiser and $273.38 through MoneyBookers. This is an increase of about $5000 over Day 2 and also an all time record for a single day in any fund drive we've ever had so far. The previous record was $14,085.10 and was set on 24 August 2005 during our last fund drive.
- Day total: $16,559.06
Here is the PayPal breakdown for Day 3:
AUD 382.44 (287.02 USD) CAD 1,007.10 (828.75 USD) EUR 2,486.35 (3,020.14 USD) GBP 612.22 (1,097.89 USD) JPY 41,992.00 (379.40 USD) USD 10,672.47 Total 16,285.68 USD
Analysis by R3m0t
English Wikipedia user R3m0t kindly created the following analysis of Day 3 PayPal data:
Donations under $50 (other currencies were converted) accounted for $11400 or 67% of the total intake on that day. Donations under $100 accounted for 84%. Donations under $200 accounted for 93%. The largest donation, $1,000, accounted for 6%. $10: 12%; $20: 30%; $30: 50%.
The most common donation was $10-$10.49 (there were 86 such donations).
The correlation between being anonymous and giving large amounts of money is 0.01189268 - not significant. However, the top 5 donations ($200 or above) are all anonymous, and 62 of the top 100 donations are anonymous.
Selected donor comments
Let's all thank everybody who donated on this day by reading their comments.
Here are some that caught my eye (many great comments could not be included here):
- "Wikipedia is my browser's home page" by Maneesh Sahu
- "I am pleased to be able to contribute to what may be the most significant project in human history." by Conrad Dunkerson
- "Wikipedia is the best website on the internet!" by Peter McGinley
- "Ich finde die Idee und vor allem das Ergebnis beeindruckend. Ich nutze es oft. Weitermachen!" by Hermann Herz
- "Love Wikipedia! Most visted website on my computer! Keep up the good work!" by Ian Thompson
- "ma plus fidèle référence" by Celine Racicot
- "Wikimedia projects have helped me dozens of times. Now I'd like to help Wikimedia back." by Asahiko Matsuda
- "Aidons la poursuite du savoir!" by Jacques Tremblay
- "Wikipedia is symbolic of what our modern society must be. Keep up the good work!" by Andrew Engelbrecht
- "This site has allowed me to tap into the knowledge of experts in subjects from the most trivial to the profound - thank you for this opportunity!" by Samantha Line
- "Wikipedia is one of the best things that happend to the world in the last years." by anonymous
- "Für Freies Wissen" by Werner Stefan
- "Wikipedia has helped me so much. I can't let anything happen to it." by Anthony White
- "My Christmas present to Wikipedia!" by Tom Maisey
- "I'll do whatever it takes to keep Wikimedia from corporate takeover." by anonymous
- "in loving memory of Άναξιμένης" by Michael Linksvayer
- "Wikipedia gives me renewed faith in humanity." by anonymous
- "Life without Wikipedia would not be the same" by Mark Nathans
- "Bravo !" by anonymous
Some of my personal favorites:
- "Knowledge is priceless" by Gregory Cain
- "When I get rich I'll donate more! Thank you." by Efrem Rensi
- "Education is the only equalizer" by anonymous
- "for my children" by Asa Canaway
-- Daniel Mayer