Job openings/Interaction Designer
As an Interaction Designer, you will be part of a team that helps define how hundreds of millions of people around the world access knowledge. You will design interfaces that enable people to find information, discover new topics, and discuss ideas. Your work will also help our community of editors write fascinating new articles about scientific discoveries, advancements in technology, developments in the arts, and other important topics. In short, you will help engage the world in sharing the sum of human knowledge.
If you'd like to apply your design skills in a high-impact environment to make the world a better place, this is your chance.
- Develop wireframes, product flow analysis, and UI designs for Wikimedia’s desktop and mobile sites
- Build HTML/CSS prototypes and work collaboratively with engineers to develop final implementations
- Organize user tests, user screencasts, and other qualitative assessments of the user experience
- Degree in HCI or related field, or equivalent real-world experience
- 3+ years as an Information Architect, Interaction Designer, Interface Designer, working both on desktop and mobile UIs
- Experience with interactive rapid prototyping tools, particularly in an Agile environment is a plus.
- Familiarity with MediaWiki or other open source content management systems is a plus.
- Experience in the Wikipedia community or working with online volunteer communities is a major plus.
- Understanding of free culture / free software / open source is a major plus.
- Creativity, attention to detail, high degree of motivation, and ability to work effectively in multiple cultural contexts are major assets.
- You must be comfortable working in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment.
- Good sense of humor always a major plus.
- Experience living and working internationally is a major benefit.
Please provide URLs to your portfolio, and of any existing user experience work you can reference openly – we'd love to see what you have done. Provide us your user experience related blog URLs if any. And let us know why this position interests you.
Local San Francisco, CA candidates are preferred though remote candidates may be considered.