Job openings/Operations Engineer
Operations Engineer [CLOSED]
Director of Operations
As Operations Engineer, your job involves designing, developing and optimizing the technical infrastructure and operations of the Wikimedia Foundation projects and maintaining the security, scalability and availability of the web properties.
You are responsible for designing, implementing and improving the Wikimedia technical infrastructure that is supporting the needs of the Wikimedia projects (including Wikipedia) and the organization. You will work in tight collaboration with the rest of the operations team, as well as development engineering, other departments and the volunteer community.
Your duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Large infrastructure projects, from research and design to implementation and maintenance
- Server and service deployments, server and database installations and configuration management
- Day to day optimizing, monitoring and maintenance of systems, including security response and database administration
- Emergency response to system outages
- Writing and updating internal documentation of systems and processes
- Assisting in data center operations
Your working language will be English. You must be willing to travel, including a twice yearly trip to San Francisco for all-hands meetings.
- You have advanced knowledge of LAMP stack technologies and 5+ years of relevant work experience
- You are able to work independently where needed, and can work remotely as part of a globally distributed team
- You are able to learn quickly. Relevant hands-on experience and eagerness to learn and try new concepts is more important than having certificates
- Experience with configuration management systems and concepts (e.g. puppet, chef, cfengine)
- Experience with operating system distribution packaging systems (e.g. dpkg, RPM)
- Experience with large web site application architectures, including caching layers (memcached, HTTP caching), storage scaling concepts
- Experience with internal infrastructure systems and concepts, e.g. DNS, NTP, LDAP
- Experience with systems programming and development in scripting languages such as Python, PHP, Ruby, Perl
- Experience with database administration (MySQL) and general storage systems
- Experience with network administration (device setup, VLANs, BGP/OSPF routing, high availability protocols) is a plus
- Experience with data center management (including power, space and cooling) is a plus
- Experience with systems and network security is a plus
- Understanding of the free culture movement is a plus
- Experience working with online volunteers is a major plus.
- You are a proficient English speaker