Using librarianship to create a more equitable internet: LGBTQ+ advocacy as a wiki-librarian

An interview with wiki-librarian and Wikimedia LGBTQ+ organizer Rachel Wexelbaum, discussing the role of librarians for bringing greater diversity to Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.

Read more

Community digest; Wikipedians around the world celebrate Wikipedia’s 17th anniversary

Every January, Wikipedians around the world celebrate the birthday of Wikipedia. This year, as Wikipedia is turning 17, we took a look at the celebrations held around the world by the Wikipedia communities.

Read more

What galleries, libraries, archives, and museums can teach us about multimedia metadata on Wikimedia Commons

Upcoming changes to Wikimedia Commons will make it easier to add, update, and find important information about individual files and entire collections. New research helps us understand what to improve, and why it matters.

Read more

From the life of Wikidata

With the Wikidata Concepts Monitor (WDCM) we can now begin to discover how our communities use knowledge across more than Wikimedia 800 projects.

Read more

In Cote d’Ivoire, partnering with libraries provides opportunities

Local volunteers from Wikimedia Community User Group Côte d'Ivoire are partnering with librarians to create an active and vibrant community.

Read more

The public domain starts growing again next year, and it’s about time

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is taking part in Copyright Week, a series of actions and discussions supporting key principles that should guide copyright policy. Every day this week, various groups are taking on different elements of copyright law and policy, and addressing what's at stake, and what we need to do to make sure that copyright promotes creativity and innovation.

Read more

How to add your photos to Wikimedia Commons and add to the sum of all knowledge

Wikimedia Commons is the media site that hosts many of the images, video, and audio used on Wikipedia.

Read more

Celebrate Wikipedia’s birthday by joining your local library in the #1Lib1Ref campaign

The annual #1lib1ref campaign asks librarians to add a citation to a reliable source to Wikipedia—and it's easy to get involved.

Read more

How I make video ‘newsreels’ for social media—so you can too

As a video producer and storyteller for the Wikimedia Foundation, I've produced a few 'silent newsreels,' a video format enjoying a renaissance in the age of social media. Now I'm sharing what I know with the greater Wikimedia movement.

Read more

Community digest: Wikipedia Asian Month wraps up; Remembering Wikipedian John Cameron Deas; news in brief

Wikipedia Asian Month has wrapped up after adding over 7,000 new articles on Wikipedia in 50 languages; The English Wikipedia community remembers veteran Wikipedian John Cameron Deas who passed away last year. In addition, this week's news in brief includes information about scholarships for Wikimania and WikiIndaba, Her Story editathons, and more.

Read more