Wikimedia Argentina y la Universidad Nacional de La Plata firman convenio para promover el conocimiento libre

Wikimedia Argentina (WMAR) y la Universidad Nacional de La Plata (UNLP) firmaron el pasado 20 de marzo un convenio de cooperación para impulsar y promover políticas transversales de difusión y producción de conocimiento abierto. Es la primera alianza de estas características que WMAR formaliza con una institución de educación superior. “Este acuerdo facilitará en gran….

Read more

How Wikipedia’s women were made more visible on International Women’s Day

The internet has a problem: across much of the world, women’s access, and participation, and representation on the internet are below that of men.* For online communities like Wikipedia, the internet’s missing women help contribute to our gender gap—both in our content, which is biased towards male biographies, and in our contributors, which are overwhelmingly….

Read more

Notre Dame will live on—but that won’t be the case for all our cultural landmarks

Last week, I watched, completely helpless, as the spire of Notre-Dame de Paris was eaten away by a blazing fire. I lived for seven years in France’s capital. I’ve seen Notre-Dame more times than I can count—as a backdrop to a evening stroll, a morning rendez-vous, an outing with friends. Paris, and Notre-Dame at its….

Read more

Wikimedia Korea, new chapter affiliate, launches in South Korea

Earlier this year, Wikimedia Korea was formally recognized as a new Wikimedia chapter to support greater awareness and participation of Wikipedia, the world’s free knowledge resource with more than 50 million articles edited entirely by volunteers, and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects in South Korea. Wikimedia chapters are independent, nonprofit affiliate organizations dedicated to….

Read more

위키미디어 한국, 위키미디어 재단의 공식지부로 승인받아 새출발

올해 초, 사단법인 한국 위키미디어 협회가 위키백과와 위키미디어 자매 프로젝트에 대한 인식을 제고하고 참여를 독려하기 위하여 새로운 위키미디어 지부(Wikimedia chapter)인 위키미디어 한국(Wikimedia Korea)으로 승인됐다. 위키백과는 자발적인 편집자가 작성한 5천만 개 이상의 문서를 보유한 세계적인 자유 지식 자료(free knowledge resources)이다. 위키미디어 지부는 독립적인 비영리 가맹 단체로서, 각자의 지리적인 지역을 기반으로 위키백과와 자유 지식을 진흥하는 것을 목적으로….

Read more

Creating our own future, step by step: Looking back on the 2019 Wikimedia Summit

What might the future of the Wikimedia movement look like? At the Wikimedia Summit, held in Berlin, Germany, from 29–31 March, around 210 participants from across the globe gathered to find answers to this question. Over three energetic days, representatives from Wikimedia affiliates, the Wikimedia Foundation, and three Wikimedia committees came together with members of….

Read more

Spotlighting knowledge equity among the newest twenty community-led Project Grants

The Wikimedia Foundation and the Project Grants Committee are excited to announce the newest successful grantees from the Project Grants program. Project Grants provide community members with funds to pursue their ideas for improving Wikimedia projects.  These grants support individuals, groups and organizations in implementing both new experiments and proven ideas.  Projects vary widely in….

Read more

A picture of the year so unbelievable, it has its own Snopes entry

Wikimedia Commons, the repository for educational media content that hosts most of the images used on Wikipedia, has announced its photo of the year.* Nearly 3,500 people chose between 57 images in the final round of the competition. Jason Weingart’s Evolution—a composite timelapse showing the development and frightening expansion of a tornado—took the top prize.….

Read more

India’s Wikimedia communities adapt the Wikipedia Library to their own contexts

Wikipedia’s article on the culture of India notes that the country contains “thousands of distinct and unique … languages, religion [and] customs [that] differ from place to place within the country.” To bring the vast knowledge of these many differing cultures to the world requires volunteers who both understand individual languages, religions and cultures of….

Read more

Making the invisible seen: Berkeley event connects artists and academia to improve representation on Wikipedia

Filipina American artist Dorothy Santos knows what it feels like to be a minority in your field. She said, “I thought, ‘there’s no one who looks like me in this industry!’ ” She reached out to Jennifer Wofford, co-founder of the San Francisco Bay Area-based artist collaborative Mail Order Brides/M.O.B., and years later contributed to….

Read more