Job openings/Chief Operating Officer
The primary purpose of this role is to ensure that the Wikimedia Foundation operates smoothly and effectively, and in compliance with 501(c) regulations and generally-accepted standards.
This position is responsible for the overall administration and business operations of the Wikimedia Foundation. Areas of responsibility include financial management and all administrative responsibilities.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the Foundation, ensuring operations are in sync with strategy. Take a leadership role in the establishment of performance indicators, and monitoring of performance against goals.
- Develop and administer operational and administrative policies, standards and practices.
- Develop and administer financial systems and effective internal controls including budget setting and tracking, expenditure approvals processes, record-keeping and reporting, and the preparation of accurate and timely monthly financial statements. Assure safeguarding of assets. Lead capital planning and budgetary activities. Ensure preparation for quarterly financial audit. Review all receipts and disbursements.
- Develop and administer revenue generation activities, including fundraising, business development and grants applications.
- Develop and administer personnel-related policies and practices. Take a lead role in the development of staff performance objectives and in the evaluation of performance against organizational goals. Provide coaching and counseling where necessary. Foster a staff culture that supports the Foundation’s strategy.
- Ensure compliance with any and all requirements for funders and regulatory bodies.
- Lead internal communications efforts through active communications to all staff including meetings, announcements, reports and bulletins.
- Provide assistance and information for the Board of Trustees as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Understanding of, and sympathy with, the mission and goals of the Wikimedia Foundation;
- Professional financial certification (e.g., CPA);
- Understanding of and experience with 501(c) accounting practices, bookkeeping and financial management requirements;
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant laws, regulations, codes, guidelines and administrative best practices related to non-profit management;
- Solid understanding of fundraising, business development, grant applications and other development activities. Experience negotiating contracts and preparing funding proposals;
- Minimum of 12 years increasingly-responsible administrative/operational positions, including at least five in a senior management role with multiple direct reports;
- Strong personal integrity and a collaborative style; capable of building and sustaining productive, effective working relationships.
ABOUT THE WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION
The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit charitable corporation with headquarters in St. Petersburg, Florida. It is fully audited and has 501(c)(3) tax exempt status in the United States. The mission of the Wikimedia Foundation is to empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally. The Wikimedia Foundation operates some of the largest collaboratively edited reference projects in the world, including Wikipedia, one of the 10 most-visited websites in the world.
Please apply with CV or resume attached to jobs AT wikimedia.org