Head of Public Outreach
The current Head of Public Outreach information may be found at Current staff
WMF Job Description: Head of Public Outreach
- JOB TITLE
Head of Public Outreach, Wikimedia Foundation
- JOB PURPOSE
As head of public outreach, your job is to develop and execute a strategy that will enable the Foundation to better fulfill its mission and further its goals by broadening participation, enhancing quality and raising the public understanding of the Foundation's projects.
- JOB SUMMARY
This position will develop and execute a public outreach strategy for the Wikimedia Foundation designed to further its mission of providing free information for everyone in the world. As head of public outreach your job is to develop and implement strategies designed to broaden participation by encouraging contributions from targeted underrepresented groups – which may include, for example, small-language speakers, people in developing nations, and older people. You will support the chapters to stage more Wikipedia Academies and other events aimed at encouraging qualified authors to contribute to the Foundation's projects. You will also design other outreach events, templates and support materials aimed at raising public awareness and understanding of Wikimedia projects.
In all of this you will work closely with the Wikimedia volunteer community and the Wikimedia chapters. Your role will be to empower volunteers to understand and further the Foundation's goals and to facilitate their work in the field of public outreach.
- Identify possible target groups underrepresented in the Wikimedia projects based on available research and other data – which includes your own surveys as well as the Foundation's general user survey; develop and implement distinct strategies for each of these groups designed to broaden participation;
- Design outreach events and support materials aimed at encouraging qualified authors (which may include academics and special-interest experts) to contribute to the Foundation's projects and to see them as friendly; identify the most appropriate cooperation partners and establish contacts with them; coordinate and help volunteers to stage more Wikipedia Academies;
- Design outreach events, templates and support materials aimed at raising public awareness and understanding of Wikimedia projects;
- Develop proposals for potential partners and sponsors, and provide information as requested for colleagues' proposals and reports.
- Develop and track measures of success and create progress reports;
- Work closely with the head of communications, the Wikimedia chapters and the volunteer community;
- Other duties as required.