Job openings/Software Developer Rich Text Editing (Features)
Software Developer - Rich Text Editing (Features) [CLOSED]
Director of Features Engineering
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop editing features for Wikimedia sites.
- Develop MediaWiki to support new editing features and improve existing architecture.
- Help improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of various affected system components.
- Participate in and conduct design and code reviews.
- Support testing of feature deployments.
- Participate in periodic meetings to help design, develop and test editing features.
- 5+ years of experience building web applications.
- 5+ years experience with user interface application development, testing and production deployment.
- Significant development experience in server-side technologies such as C/C++ and/or Java.
- Experience developing and testing across browsers and operating systems.
- Extensive experience building large-scale server applications.
- Knowledge developing and debugging in Linux/Unix (LAMP) environments.
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or related field preferred.
- Knowledge of UI frameworks such as XUL, Flex, and XAML a plus.
- Experience with collaborative editing environments such as Google Docs, EtherPad or Wave a major plus.
- Experience with MediaWiki and other open source PHP-based content management systems is a major plus.
- Experience with operating system internals, filesystems, programming language design, compilers, distributed systems, or server architectures.
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies such as Scrum and Extreme Programming (XP).
- Experience in the Wikipedia community a major plus.
- Experience contributing to a major open source project.
- Understanding of free culture/free software/open source.
- Experience working with online volunteers.
- Experience with wikis and participatory production environments.
- Good sense of humor always a major plus.
- Being creative, highly motivated, hard-working and ability to work effectively in multiple cultural contexts are great assets.
- You must be comfortable working in an open, highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment.
Please provide URLs to any existing open source software work you may have done (your own software or patches to other packages) if possible. We'd love to see what you can do! Include URLs to your technical blog, if any. And let us know why this position interests you.