Minutes/March 1, 2008

From the Wikimedia Foundation
Jump to: navigation, search

IRC meeting, March 1st, 2008

  • Participating: Florence, Jimmy, Michael, Kat, Domas
  • Absent: Frieda, Jan-Bart
  • Start: 20:00 UTC
  • End: 23:45 UTC
  • Minutes recorded by: Domas Mituzas

Chapters

  • General agreement on Wikimedia Australia establishment:
Resolution for the record:

Per the recommendation of the Chapters Committee, which affirms that the structure and bylaws of Wikimedia Australia Incorporated comply with the current requirements and guidelines for future chapters, it is hereby resolved that:

The Board of Trustees officially recognizes Wikimedia Australia Incorporated as a Wikimedia Chapter.

Reference link:

Passed with 7 approvals

  • Discussions on Wikimedia Hong Kong raised topic of sub-national chapters:
    • In case of historical, geographical or cultural situations there might be special cases for one-country per chapter model.
    • Possibility of future sub-national entities as a different tier organizations to be discussed in April.
    • Agreed on Wikimedia Hong Kong establishment:
Resolution for the record:

Upon recommendation from the Chapters committee, which confirms that the structure and bylaws of Wikimedia Hong Kong Limited comply with the current requirements and guidelines for future chapters, it is hereby resolved that:

The Board of Trustees officially recognizes Wikimedia Hong Kong Limited as a Wikimedia Chapter.

Reference link:

Passed with 6 votes, 1 abstained (Anthere)

Secretary

  • Domas Mituzas approved to serve as Executive Secretary from 1st March 08, 2008 to 28th February 2009, provided that his Board term is extended through appointment or election beyond July 2008.
Resolution for the record:

It is hereby resolved that:

  • The Board appoints Domas Mituzas to serve as Executive Secretary from 1st March 08, 2008 to 28th February 2009, provided that his Board term is extended through appointment or election beyond July 2008.

Passed with 6 approvals

Wikimania

  • Agreed to request ED report on Wikimania security conditions, to be reviewed in April (board meeting)

Website data retention

  • Agreed to request report of private data retention, discuss required changes (due to legal and other conditions), to be reviewed in April (board meeting)

Communication on copyrights extension

  • Discussed if board statement is needed for copyrights extension, or should the foundation communication be enough, options discussed:
    • Press release
    • Board statement
    • Individual General Counsel statement on foundation-l mailing list
  • Agreed that generally individual statement on public mailing lists may be not enough and more communication could be useful
  • Agreed that Michael would draft a text on the issue

Action Items

  • Florence will ask Sue to provide a report related to Wikimania security at April board meeting
  • Florence delegate copyrights extension position & communication to Michael
  • Florence will ask Mike to provide a data retention policy draft, to review in April, at board meeting
  • Frieda to go on be the liaison with the chaptcom