Sue Gardner is the former Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation, the non-profit organization behind Wikipedia – the world's largest and most popular encyclopedia, which is free to use and free of advertising. Wikipedia contains more than 20 million volunteer-authored articles in over 280 languages, and is visited by more than 476 million people every month, making it the number five most-popular website in the world.
Gardner, a seasoned journalist, was formerly head of CBC.ca, the website for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, one of Canada's most prominent and best-loved cultural institutions. Under her leadership, CBC.ca won many international awards for excellence, and grew to become Canada's most popular news site. Gardner started her career in 1990 as a producer with CBC's "As It Happens," an internationally-recognized groundbreaking news and current events radio program. She has worked in radio, television, newspapers, magazines and online.
Since joining the Wikimedia Foundation in summer of 2007, Gardner has relocated the organization to San Francisco, more than tripled its annual revenues, supported a 50% increase in readership, and instituted ambitious new programming goals to increase reach, quality and participation.
As of June 2014, Gardner serves as Special Advisor to the Wikimedia Foundation.
- E-mail: suewikimedia.org
- In the office at (415) 839-6885
- Skype username is susanpgardner
- My username on the projects is Sue Gardner
- Mailing address is Wikimedia Foundation, 149 New Montgomery Street, Third Floor, San Francisco CA 94105
- My personal blog is http://www.suegardner.org
- SuePGardner on Twitter
- LinkedIn profile
- I'm on Facebook, Diaspora and Google+, and if you tell me you're a Wikimedian I'll be your friend :-)