This is a new page with comments copied from https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Mobile_Projects/Partnerships/Q_and_A&oldid=3736356
This is a really great project - it's fantastic to see it taking place. :-) Some comments/suggestions:
- Page title - suggest moving this to a title containing 'Orange', if other partnerships will come in the future (or is this FAQ intended to be updated on a rolling basis as new partnerships come out, or the details change?)
- Order of the content - I'd recommend emphasizing which countries this will take place in, and also which projects it applies to, higher up in the Q&A, since I think those will be particularly interesting to the community.
- Wikipedia languages - it might be worthwhile integrating some of the ideas behind en:QRPedia into the mobile phone access mechanism, such that the user gets redirected to the language project corresponding to their phone language settings.
- "Q: What is the duration of this deal? A: Three years, through November 2014." - that's about 2 3/4 years, not 3 years. I'd recommend just removing the 'three years' bit.
Mike Peel 10:20, 22 January 2012 (UTC)
- Any volunteers? - we need a coloured in map showing populations, languages supported etc. This is so well timed and on-message. I'm optimistic that this will be renamed Wikipedia Zero as I suspect other phone companies will realise that "text only" will appear miserly by comparison to this deal. Victuallers 15:09, 22 January 2012 (UTC)
A bit sad that Wikimedia France was not kept in the loop a little bit (dunno... dinner in Paris with some French wikipedians at least :)). But otherwise, the project is great great great.
One thing I have been wondering about is how much they will succeed to make sure their users know about the special deal. That must be quite a challenge. Anthere
No editing? Attribution?
- No, it's not relevant anymore since it's on foundation wiki rather than meta now (probably should have been here from beginning). The original was written all by WMF staff; do we still need attribution in that case? suggestion? Akapoor (talk) 22:28, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
- Ah, okay. Thanks for updating the note.
- Usually attribution is given in the edit summary when creating the page. For example, when creating this talk page, you would use an edit summary such as "new page; content from https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Mobile_Projects/Partnerships/Q_and_A&oldid=3736356". Or something like that. Some kind of attribution trail is helpful, even if not required. This at least gives people the option of reliably tracing back to the source. Without a pointer (such as a URL), people are forced to do text searches of the comments. --MZMcBride (talk) 23:02, 18 May 2012 (UTC)