News

Peter Baldwin, Lisbet Rausing give an additional $3.5 million to the Wikimedia Endowment

Peter Baldwin and Lisbet Rausing.

Major donation from the Wikimedia Endowment Advisory Board member and his wife, co-founders of the Arcadia Fund, builds upon an earlier $5 million gift.

Three years ago, we created the Wikimedia Endowment as a permanent, independent fund dedicated to ensuring the long-term sustainability of Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects.

In other words, it will help sustain Wikipedia for decades to come.

But the Endowment is not a simple undertaking. It relies on the generosity of donors who recognize that knowledge is more impactful when it is freely available and shared with the world.

That’s why we’re thrilled to announce that Wikimedia Endowment Advisory Board member Peter Baldwin and his wife, Lisbet Rausing, have donated an additional $3.5 million to the Endowment. The gift brings their total Endowment giving to $8.5 million, building upon the $5 million they gave in 2017.

Peter and Lisbet are co-founders of the Arcadia Fund, one of the UK’s largest philanthropic foundations, which focuses on preserving cultural heritage and the environment, and promoting open access. Besides being major philanthropists and two of our biggest funders, Peter and Lisbet are historians who’ve taught at universities and written scholarly works.

With their gifts, the Endowment has now increased to more than $35 million and have moved us that much closer to our goal of $100 million.

“We are grateful to Peter and Lisbet for their continued investment in universal access to information and free and open knowledge” said Jimmy Wales, Founder of Wikipedia. “Their generosity will enable us to ensure knowledge remains free and open for the benefit of generations to come.”

The Endowment and the Wikimedia Foundation’s knowledge projects are more important than ever to support, says Peter. “In the era of fake news and globalized data rubbish,” he says, “it is all the more important to ensure that Wikipedia remains on a steady course, supplying us with balanced, factual, accurate information.”

Our vision with the Wikimedia Foundation’s projects is simple: “Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.” We’re extremely thankful that Peter Baldwin and Lisbet Rausing—and other Endowment donors—are joining us on this quixotic quest.

To learn more about how you can support the Wikimedia Endowment, visit wikimediaendowment.org or email endowment@wikimedia.org.

Marc Brent, Senior Endowment Development Manager
Wikimedia Foundation

About the Endowment

The Wikimedia Endowment provides dedicated funding to realize the power and promise of Wikipedia and its sister projects—ensuring access to knowledge for everyone, everywhere.

Learn more

Related — 有關

Read further in the pursuit of knowledge

Matching gift grows Wikimedia Endowment by $10 million

Endowment

We are excited to announce a matching gift, from Wikimedia Endowment Advisory Board member Peter Baldwin and his wife Lisbet Rausing, co-founders of the Arcadia Fund, of $5 million to the Wikimedia Endowment. Lisbet and Peter’s gift is the largest single gift to the Wikimedia Endowment to date. This grant was matched by $5 million in donations collected from….

Read more

Peter Baldwin, professor and philanthropist, is appointed to the Wikimedia Endowment Advisory Board

Endowment

Peter Baldwin—a Professor of History at the University of California, Los Angeles, a Global Distinguished Professor at New York University, and co-founder of the philanthropic Arcadia Foundation—has been appointed to the Wikimedia Endowment Advisory Board. Baldwin joins Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales and venture capitalist Annette Campbell-White as the third member of the board that is entrusted with overseeing….

Read more

Help us unlock the world’s knowledge.

As a nonprofit, Wikipedia and our related free knowledge projects are powered primarily through donations.

Donate now

Connect — Conecta

Stay up-to-date on our work.

Get email updates

Subscribe to news about ongoing projects and initiatives.

Contact a human

Questions about the Wikimedia Foundation or our projects? Get in touch with our team.

Contact

Photo credits

Peter Baldwin - Lisbet Rausing

Peter Baldwin and Lisbet Rausing

CC BY-SA 4.0

Summit photo Zugspitze

CatalpaSpirit

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.en

Peter Baldwin

Photo courtesy Peter Baldwin